Skip to main content

Thread and Tread - A Shoody Silence Residency Ends


Thread and Tread - A Shoddy Silence almost at its end. What a journey?  Each day I have worked in Room 700 I have had the pleasure to meet engaging people who have in turn added to my experience and broadened my depth of understanding of  mainly the Textile industry and what it is for individuals to live with their personal 'Silent Witness'.


 
Khaki Uniforms
Left hand side British Army Tunic made from rough mixed-yarn
Right hand side German Trousers made from a more generous woollen cloth!
 
My objective for todays creative work was to consolidate my years long journey of questioning:
"How do the two fronts;that of war and that of the textile industry differ or compare"?
 
Through the questioning I set out to pay homage to all those who experienced both fronts separately or concurrently. I wish to be one such advocate to honour all who gave their working lives and even their own lives through ill health or poor health and safety. The textile industry is synonymous with the Industrial Revolution. You may think of Blake's 'Dark Satanic Mills.' You may be right? As I have discovered there is many a dark narrative to be told.
 
I have now even more questions? I set out to find the evidence of there needing to be a serge of WW1 Uniforms to be produced. The process of Shoddy was in needed and in great demand. Bluntly, uniforms came back from the front to the be recycled the return to the front in multitudes of hundreds and hundreds. People were part of this machinery.  My creative response I produced today was an assimilation of my years long journey, my thoughts were of the 'Machine of War' relentless, ruthless, recyclable. Through my creative process I found myself self feeling quite emotive and angry, which you may detect within some of the mark making.  I feel I have come to a fitting ending of this body of work, and now ready to move forward looking more closely at hidden danger of textile production of World War One and how the veterans fitted back into the Textile Industry.
 
 
Photograph courtesy of LEODIS Mabgate Mills Leeds
My drawing depicting Batley Railway station and storage sheds of Rag Sacks and a homage to all the suffering at Hill 60 the underground annihilation.
 
 
 
 
Photograph courtesy of LEODIS Kitchener's Recruitment Tram
My drawing pays homage to the women in the mass sewing rooms of endless noise and the shell holed western front merged with the textile landscape of West Yorkshire.
 

 
Photograph courtesy of LEODIS Soldiers ready to go to the front
My drawing depicts a soldier ready with his weapon, the industry of war weighing heavily on his shoulders.

 
 
 









 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

braving new technology

During my Artist-in-Residence at Batley Art Gallery, West Yorks, Uk. Autum 2009 I was filmed talking about the the art work I was producing for that specific Aerist-in-Residence project. My huge thanks to my friend Si, I am now on You Tube: an interview with Carrie http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reY2hF2gyO4 The film was made by Si King, Skater, Photographer, Film Maker , Lover of Adventure, along with snow100. Enjoy! Carrie. http://www.pinkmooninspires.co.uk/
... I love vast stretches of sea and sky, I feel I am on the edge of something, an anticipation hangs between, betwixt sea and sky...   
 ...good to be back after mysteriously being locked out of my own blog... I have been reflecting upon themes and techniques which have been at my core prior to and at the outset of art college adventures, which reduce down to organic form, traditional  techniques and exploring processes. New work embraces re-examining northern textile industrial heritage set within the Pennine regions of Yorkshire and Lancashire .  Within this, is how the changing face of industry has impaired our familiar visual reference. MY response is to pay homage to L.S. Lowry's imagined Lancashire urban landscapes- which are inherent  with my own Lancashire heritage , and create my own re-imagined urban and rural landscape.  Fine art print and textile techniques such as hand felted fleece, new and vintage cloths are layered with textile techniques and process using stitch to draw together a commonality within textile narratives.