Skip to main content

Thread and Tread - A Shoddy Silence Exhibtion

 
Room 7oo
Leeds Central Library
Thread and Tread - A Shoddy Silence
 
 
 
Shoddy Cloth Palls where people are invited to share their experience of working in textiles industry and that of war. The central piece pays homage to the men and perhaps women who were WW1 khaki Uniform, who endured wearing such unforgiving cloth!

 
Homage to My Grandparents, My Grandfather who inspired my journey of WW1, My Grandmother  The Textiles Industry. Vintage Textiles book  enthusiastically describing textiles in it's many forms, my focus is on  re-cycled cloth.
 
 
Guard 1
This piece is in respect to all who were mobilised and demobilised in WW1. Those who gave their lives to the experience of war; who were injured and those who 'lost' their lives.  My premise of this research and subsequent exhibition is to make real the experience of war through singling out a very personal aspect, that of what the cloth which shielded soldiers from their environment be it uniform or blankets. 
Further questioning was 'did the soldiers wear uniforms their families and friends may made? Did they work in the very same mill prior to war, during or after? 
The impetus for the research on uniform came about during a talk about WW1 Costume by Lucy Addlington; she mentioned from 1916 uniforms were recycled. This horrified me. It has further moved me more and more deeply to the point where, when I was given permission to look at the Archival 'Guard' Book of Sunny Bank Mills, Farsely, Leeds; the pages of Khaki cloth orders for 1914-18, 1916 onwards immensely increased in number.
 
At this point I was not sure I could depict this horrifying evidence of the amount of cloth needed to keep recycling both cloth and men!
I wanted to do justice and honour to those who worked in the arduous conditions of the mills and those who endured war.
The Guard Book was a large leather bound, hand stitched book with hand drawn red ink columns; where neatly written secret codes of orders stood beautifully, tellingly row after row after row, each line after line after line was crossed out neatly and firmly in pencil. For me, this signified the men had gone! Crossed out!
 
Thread and Tread - A Shoddy Silence has been a year long journey, so far. Having taken 11 months to behold the evidence I was seeking.  This became a story in itself as I have found it difficult to locate specific evidence of where the used uniforms were dispatched to, rag sorted, recycled and refashioned into khaki uniform.
 
This residency culminates in WW1 Song sung live, artist talk of my journey so far and an opportunity to share and make homage to The Textiles Industry and WW1.
Sunday 29th April 2018 1.30-2.30 pm Room 700, Leeds Central Library, Calvery Street (The Headrow) Leeds

Please visit ; on Leeds Libraries page https://www.facebook.com/leedslibraries/posts/10156542113599208



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

braving new technology

During my Artist-in-Residence at Batley Art Gallery, West Yorks, Uk. Autum 2009 I was filmed talking about the the art work I was producing for that specific Aerist-in-Residence project. My huge thanks to my friend Si, I am now on You Tube: an interview with Carrie http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reY2hF2gyO4 The film was made by Si King, Skater, Photographer, Film Maker , Lover of Adventure, along with snow100. Enjoy! Carrie. http://www.pinkmooninspires.co.uk/
... I love vast stretches of sea and sky, I feel I am on the edge of something, an anticipation hangs between, betwixt sea and sky...   
 ...good to be back after mysteriously being locked out of my own blog... I have been reflecting upon themes and techniques which have been at my core prior to and at the outset of art college adventures, which reduce down to organic form, traditional  techniques and exploring processes. New work embraces re-examining northern textile industrial heritage set within the Pennine regions of Yorkshire and Lancashire .  Within this, is how the changing face of industry has impaired our familiar visual reference. MY response is to pay homage to L.S. Lowry's imagined Lancashire urban landscapes- which are inherent  with my own Lancashire heritage , and create my own re-imagined urban and rural landscape.  Fine art print and textile techniques such as hand felted fleece, new and vintage cloths are layered with textile techniques and process using stitch to draw together a commonality within textile narratives.