Skip to main content

Thread and Tread - A Shoddy Silence' Artist In Residence


Carrie Scott-Huby

Room 700 Artist in Residence   Thursday 5th April – Sunday 29th April2018

Leeds Central Library,  Calvery Street , The Headrow, Leeds LS1 3AB
I intend to be available Mondays, Thursday within School hours and Saturday afternoons.

Project title: ‘Thread and Tread’ – A Shoddy Silence’. Investigating The West Yorkshire Heavy Woollen Textile Industry before, during and after WW1. Asking the question; ‘How much cloth was needed to make all the WW1 uniforms and blankets’?

This has become a journey in itself and has propelled its own story.

 

I invite people to come and share WW1 and Textile industry stories, to pay reverence by way of collective installation.

 
Worked image of my Grandfather in his World War One Uniform 2010 Residency at The Art House , Wakefield.  The blanket I obtained during a camping weekend form an Army Surplus stall.   Each item depicts my recent development of 'Silent Witness' a culmination of research from two Artist is Residence bringing about 'Tread and Tread - A Shoddy Silence'.
 
Thinking about the West Yorkshire Heavy Industry initially in terms of 'How much cloth would be needed to all the uniforms and blankets needed for demobilisation.  Then further thoughts as to the work force, how many men went off to war leaving the textile industry short on work force, plus considering the comparative working conditions on both 'fronts'. 
 
This has been a years long exploration and has become a narrative within a narrative. Information I could not access has been revealing in itself?
So I embark on another journey of 'Silent Witness - Thread and Tread - A Shoddy Silence'.
 
I install the exhibition on Thursday 5th April 2018. So I will pick up my research, which was about divert me away a wee bit! So watch this space!
 
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

... I love vast stretches of sea and sky, I feel I am on the edge of something, an anticipation hangs between, betwixt sea and sky...   

braving new technology

During my Artist-in-Residence at Batley Art Gallery, West Yorks, Uk. Autum 2009 I was filmed talking about the the art work I was producing for that specific Aerist-in-Residence project. My huge thanks to my friend Si, I am now on You Tube: an interview with Carrie http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reY2hF2gyO4 The film was made by Si King, Skater, Photographer, Film Maker , Lover of Adventure, along with snow100. Enjoy! Carrie. http://www.pinkmooninspires.co.uk/

Chaos in a Cabinet!

Recently I exhibited at The 13th International Artist Book Fair, Leeds University. Cabinet of Curiosities: an interactive exhibition of new relational book works by the International online Artist Book Collective. Please find out more on Artsit Book Collective on Facebook. Chaos Theory is composed with re-claimed materials and using tradtional techniues. Carrie Scott-Huby www.pinkmooninspires.co.uk