Skip to main content

Shoddy Pop Up Exhibtion & Workshop Batley Vintage Day 28th May 2016

 
Shoddy Nests, hand shredded wool yarn making a fine shoddy
laid on Re-claimed Batley Industrial Hessian
 
 
 
 
Shoddy - Nests
Artist Books hand felted with West Yorkshire Fleece, some with Batley hessian,
hand block printed books, text.
 
Photograph courtesy of Mat Dale.
 
 
 
 
Shoddy pop-up Exhibition
Carrie Scott Huby Exhibiting and delivering Shoddy workshop
Batley Vintage Day Saturday 28 th May 2016
Batley Library & Art Gallery  Shoddy Exhibition & Workshop Admission FREE
 
Shoddy is the name for new cloth made from woollen waste and recycled fabric. This original meaning is now largely unknown, and the word has come to mean of inferior quality, shabby or broken down. This is the starting point for an exhibition by disabled artists working with woollen or other yarns and fabrics, or recycled and reused textile materials.
We are challenging ideas that disabled people are second-rate. Instead, we think that “shoddy” could be used to describe the government’s treatment of disabled people, with cuts to welfare benefits and public services.
Batley Library & Art Gallery,
Market Place, Batley, WF17 5DA.      01924 326021
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

... I love vast stretches of sea and sky, I feel I am on the edge of something, an anticipation hangs between, betwixt sea and sky...   

braving new technology

During my Artist-in-Residence at Batley Art Gallery, West Yorks, Uk. Autum 2009 I was filmed talking about the the art work I was producing for that specific Aerist-in-Residence project. My huge thanks to my friend Si, I am now on You Tube: an interview with Carrie http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reY2hF2gyO4 The film was made by Si King, Skater, Photographer, Film Maker , Lover of Adventure, along with snow100. Enjoy! Carrie. http://www.pinkmooninspires.co.uk/

Chaos in a Cabinet!

Recently I exhibited at The 13th International Artist Book Fair, Leeds University. Cabinet of Curiosities: an interactive exhibition of new relational book works by the International online Artist Book Collective. Please find out more on Artsit Book Collective on Facebook. Chaos Theory is composed with re-claimed materials and using tradtional techniues. Carrie Scott-Huby www.pinkmooninspires.co.uk